In 2003, Gregory Kareta was accused of sexually abusing an 11-year-old boy between 1973 and 1974. During the ensuing criminal proceedings, three other alleged victims came forward to corroborate the charges. The criminal case was eventually dismissed following the U.S. Supreme Court’s ruling that the recent amendment to California’s criminal statute of limitations governing child sexual abuse was unconstitutional.
Kareta had previously admitted to abusing other children in the 1960s while he was on assignment in Wisconsin. Kareta had reportedly disclosed his history of abuse to the Los Angeles Archdiocese in 1985, but they continued to assign him to parishes and did not restrict his access to children.
Kareta died in 2006 and the church officials subsequently released his personnel file in 2013.
Father Kareta's Assignments
|St. Thomas the Apostle||Detroit, MI||1956..1958|
|St. Hedwig's||Detroit, MI||1958..1963|
|Our Lady of Guadalupe||Hermosa Beach, CA||1963..1964|
|St. Josephat's||Milwaukee, WI||1964..1965|
|Bishop Montgomery High School||Torrance, CA||1965..1971|
|St. Paul the Apostle||Pismo Beach, CA||1971..1978|
|Queen of Angels||Riverside, CA||1978..1979|
|St. Joseph's||Barstow, CA||1979..1980|
|Queen of Angels||Riverside, CA||1980..1981|
|Our Lady of Guadalupe||Riverside, CA||1981..1982|
|Not listed in Catholic Directories||1983..1984|
|St. Paul the Apostle||Coalinga, CA||1984..1996|
|St. Joseph's||Avenal, CA||1996..2002|
|Retired to St. Joseph Cupertino Friary||Arroyo Grande, CA||2004..onward|
Articles about Father Kareta
- San Luis Obispo Tribune - Priest Who Served in Pismo Charged with Sex Abuse (07/02/2003)
- San Luis Obispo Tribune - Accused Priest Had Admitted Prior Abuse ()
- San Luis Obispo Tribune - Clergy Abuse Details Emerge ()
- San Luis Obispo Tribune - Case Against Ex-Pismo Priest Likely to End (07/02/2003)
- San Luis Obispo Tribune - Diocese of Monterey Facing Millions in Sex-Abuse Lawsuits (27/01/2004)